LU Military Steps to Get Started

LU Military Steps to Get Started


Your steps in enrolling at Lindenwood University as a military student, spouse, dependent or veteran are made simple. You will work with our Admissions and Veterans Affairs team to prepare you in becoming a LU Lion! Please follow the steps to get started.

Step 1: Military Benefit Eligibility Review

  • Still serving in the U.S. Armed Forces?
    • Contact your military branch's education office to find out what benefits are available to you.
    • Work with your education officer to set up your paperwork in preparation for Tuition Assistance authorization and any other potential benefits, like the GI Bill®.
  • If you are eligible for VA education benefits and have not yet applied, you will need to complete an application for benefits through Please retain a screenshot of the confirmation page once your application is complete.
  • If you have been approved for VA benefits, please request and provide a copy of your (COE) Certificate of Eligibility. Request copy of COE.
  • If you have previously used your VA education benefits at another institution, you will need to complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training in order to update your current education benefits. Please retain a screenshot of the confirmation page once complete.

Step 2: Review Costs and Apply

  • Knowing the cost of tuition, fees and books for attending LU is very important.
  • Apply to one of our degree programs. (If you plan to attend online, visit our Online Admissions page).
  • An LU admission counselor will contact you, usually by phone, to confirm your application.
  • Inform your counselor you're currently serving, a veteran or dependent and that you'll be using your military benefits.

Step 3: Submit Paperwork Documenting your Prior Education

  • If you have less than 24 college credits you must submit your high school diploma or GED.
  • If you are transferring credits from a post-secondary military or civilian institution, your counselor will also need your transcripts.
    • For any credits earned through military training or institutions while serving in the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy, You can request a copy from Joint Services Transcripts.
    • If you intend to transfer credits earned through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), you can request them from The Community College of the Air Force.

Step 4: Apply for FAFSA

  • Prospective students are highly encouraged to complete the FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid and use Lindenwood’s school code is: 002480. This will better assist you in determining the funding picture to make degree completion a reality.

Step 5: Questions

  • Once you're admitted to LU, you'll be assigned a dedicated military counselor and academic advisor.
  • Once you are enrolled, our Veterans Affairs staff will assist you with certifying your VA benefits.

Please note that if you are using military benefits, it could affect the amount of institutional aid you receive.